The Arc’s position statements address critical issues related to rights, treatment, services and programs for children and adults with I/DD and their families.
Position statements are used to advance The Arc’s public policy goals. They are disseminated to professionals, family members, and other interested persons. They are the touchstone for state and local chapters to create a national perspective on what The Arc stands for.
Process for Development of Position Statements
The President of The Arc appoints a committee to consider development of new position statements and revision of existing position statements and collaborates with American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD). New position statements may be suggested by chapters or members of The Arc by writing to the President.
The drafts of new position statements and revision of existing statements are circulated to all chapters for the opportunity to comment. These comments are incorporated into the final drafts for consideration by the Boards of Directors of The Arc and AAIDD which are then presented to the Delegates at The Arc’s Annual Meeting.
Quality of Life
- Rights Summary
- Advocacy Position Statement
- Criminal Justice Position Statement
- Guardianship Position Statement
- Human & Civil Rights Position Statement
- Inclusion Position Statement
- Physician-Assisted Suicide
- Protection Position Statement
- Self-Determination Position Statement
Life in the Community
- Life in the Community Summary
- Aging Position Statement
- Behavioral Supports Position Statement
- Early Childhood Services Position Statement
- Education Position Statement
- Employment Position Statement
- Family Support Position Statement
- Health, Mental Health, Vision & Dental Care Position Statement
- Housing Position Statement
- Individual Supports Position Statement
- Opportunities for Financial Asset Building
- Parents with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities Position Statement
- Sexuality Position Statement
- Spirituality Position Statement
- Transportation Position Statement